Opportunity to build a better Canada
- Director, Board of Management, Canada Revenue Agency, 201605CRA1074-1
- Vice-Chairperson (Broadcasting), Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, 201603CRTC834-1 Updated
- Chairperson, Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation, 201603FFMC228-1
- President, Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation, 201605FFMC227-1
- Member, Immigration and Refugee Board, 201607IRB1195-1 New
- Secretary, National Battlefields Commission, 201603NBC351-1 Updated
- Chairperson, Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board, 201603PER62-1
- Chairperson, Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority, 201603WDBA2265-1 New
Governor in Council (GIC) Appointments
To see Ongoing Opportunities, click here.
The Government of Canada is moving quickly to apply a more rigorous approach to Governor in Council (GIC) appointments. The selection process will reflect the fundamental role that more than 1500 Canadians play in our democracy as they serve on commissions, boards, Crown corporations, agencies, and tribunals across the country.
During the transition to the new approach, an interim process will apply. Under the interim process, appointments and re-appointments will only be made to positions essential to government business or to those that deliver important services to Canadians. These appointments and re-appointments will be up to one year in length, subject to any legislative provisions.
A GIC appointment is a unique opportunity to build a better Canada.
Information on the full range of organizations and GIC positions can be accessed under Federal Organizations.
July 7, 2016 – Minister of Democratic Institutions announces launch of the permanent phase of the independent Senate appointments process. The Independent Advisory Board for Senate Appointments launches new website and open online application process launched to fill 20 Senate seats in 7 provinces.
April 5, 2016 – The Independent Advisory Board for Senate Apppointments' report on the transitional process has been made public.
March 18, 2016 – Prime Minister announces intention to recommend the appointment of seven new Senators.
March 2, 2016 – Create an account for GIC Appointments applications! You can now register on the Governor in Council Appointments website and create your account and profile. This is the first step for applying online to opportunities on commissions, boards, Crown corporations, agencies and tribunals that will be advertised soon on our website.
February 25, 2016 – Prime Minister announces new Governor in Council appointment process.
January 29, 2016 – The Independent Advisory Board for Senate Appointments is a non-partisan body whose mandate is to provide non-binding merit-based recommendations to the Prime Minister on Senate nominations.
- Date modified: